Unsightly spider veins (telangiectasias) can appear on your ankles, thighs and calves. One of the most popular treatments at Renuance™ in the Riverside County area is sclerotherapy (vein therapy) – a safe, proven method of minimizing these small purple and red blood vessels. Plastic surgeon Brian Eichenberg, M.D., and his experienced aesthetic nurses are so skilled at performing this no-downtime treatment that minimal, if any, discomfort is involved.
Your Vein Treatment
Prior to your sclerotherapy, Riverside County plastic surgeon Dr. Eichenberg or one of his experienced aesthetic nurses will mark the veins to be treated. If you have large veins that require treatment, laser resurfacing typically is used first. A sclerosing solution is injected into the vein with a micro-needle. The solution causes the vein to turn white (blanch), and then gradually disappear. A typical treatment lasts from 30 minutes to an hour. Injection sclerotherapy can be an excellent alternative to surgery, provided the patient’s venous system is not affected.
You can return to your regular routine immediately. However, Dr. Eichenberg does recommend refraining from vigorous activities for the first 24 hours.
Dr. Eichenberg also wants his patients to understand the following points:
- Complete correction is not expected on the first treatment. Only about 50% to 70% of the treated vessels will be gone permanently. Generally, 3 to 4 treatments are required for optimal results.
- Patients may be asked to wear heavy-duty stockings initially to help keep treated veins closed and reduce bruising.
- On occasion, small clots can develop at the site of the injection.
- Color changes can occur in the skin where sclerotherapy has been performed.
- In some cases, laser treatment may be an alternative to sclerotherapy.
- If there is an underlying problem with the venous system, the veins will become visible again.
Learn how vein treatment can enhance your appearance. Request a consultation now at our office in the Riverside County area at (951) 506-1040.